I had a craving for crab cakes and decided to make Indian crab cakes with Coriander chutney.
makes 225 grams, you can easily make less by only using half of the ingredients.
1,5 tbsp lemon juice
1,5 tbsp water
90 gr coriander leaves and stalks, sliced roughly
2 tbsp finely sliced fresh coconut (or dessicated coconut works fine as well)
1 small shallot, sliced finely
0,5 cm fresh ginger root, sliced finely
1 green chillipepper, seeds removed, sliced finely
1,5 tsp sugar
0,5 tsp salt
pinch of pepper
Put the lemonjuice, water and half of the coriander in a food processor and mix until you have a thick puree. Gradually add the remaining coriander and make sure to regularly scrape the bowl so you mix everything well.
Add the other ingredients and mix until everything is combined. Add pepper and salt to taste. Put the chutney in a non-metal bowl and refrigerate. The chutney will keep for 3 days.
Indian crab cakes
450 gr potatoes (preferably not the variety that falls apart when you cook them) peeled and sliced in half
0,5 tsp turmeric
3 spring onions, finely chopped
1 green chilli pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
1 cm fresh ginger root, grated
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves and stalks
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 2 lemons
200 gr crabmeat (from a tin) you can also use tuna
salt and pepper
vegetable oil for frying
for the garnish:
slices of lime or lemon
1. Boil the potatoes in a large pan with lightly salted water. Drain them and peel when cooled down.
2. Put the potatoes in a large bowl and mash them with a fork, stir in the turmeric and add the spring onions, the chilli pepper, the ginger, coriander, lemon zest and the lemon juice. Mix in the crabmeat with your hands and add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Moisten your hands and form 14 crab cakes from the mixture. Gently flatten them, this makes baking easier.
4. Heat a layer of oil in a wok and heat it to medium - high. Put as many crabcakes as you can in the pan and fry them for 4 minutes until golden brown. Turn them after 2 minutes. Repeat for the rest of your crabcakes.
5. Serve with slices of lemon and coriander chutney. Enjoy!